With these recommendations the Interdisciplinary Urinalysis Group (GIAU) aims to stimulate the following aspects:
- improvement and standardization of the post analytical approach to physical, chemical and morphological urine examination (ECMU).
- Emphasize the value added to ECMU by selection of clinically significant parameters, indication of analytical methods, of units of measurement, of reference values
- Improvement of interpretation of dip stick urinalysis with particular regard to the reconsideration of the diagnostic significance of the evaluated parameters together with an increasing awareness of the limits of sensitivity and specificity of this analytical method. Accompanied by the skills to propose and carry out in-depth investigations with analytical methods that are more sensitive and specific.
- Increase the awareness of the ‘importance of professional skills in the field of urinary morphology and their relationships with the clinicians. through the introduction, in the report, of descriptive and interpretative comments depending on the type of request, the complexity of the laboratory, the competence of the pathologist.
- Implement a policy of evaluation of the analytical quality by using, in addition to traditional internal and external controls, a program for the evaluation of morphological competence.
The hope is to revalue the enormous potential diagnostic of ‘ECMU, implementing a urinalysis on personalized diagnostic needs that each patient brings with it.
Key Words: Recommendations, Post Analytical Phase, Urinalysis