Bardoxolone: a new potential therapeutic agent in the treatment of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease?

Abstract

Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) is the most common genetic cause of chronic renal failure. The natural history of ADPKD is characterized by development of multiple bilateral renal cysts that progressively destroy the architecture of the parenchyma and lead to an enlargement in the total kidney volume (TKV) and to the decline of the renal function. Cyst growth activates the immune system response causing interstitial inflammation and fibrosis that contribute to disease progression. In recent years, the therapeutic toolkit available to the nephrologist in the treatment of ADPKD has been enriched with new tools, and in this context bardoxolone is classified as a potential therapeutic agent. It is a semisynthetic derivative of triterpenoids, a family of compounds widely used in traditional Asian medicine for their multiple effects. Bardoxolone exerts antioxidant activity by promoting the activation of Nrf2 (Nuclear factor erythroid2-derivative – 2) and the downregulation of the proinflammatory NF-kB (Nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells) signaling. Several pieces of evidence support the use of bardoxolone in the treatment of chronic kidney disease (CKD) documenting an effect on the increase of glomerular filtration rate (GFR). However, its use is limited to patients at risk of heart failure. The FALCON study will clarify the efficacy and safety of bardoxolone in the treatment of ADPKD.


Keywords:
polycystic kidney disease, inflammation, bardoxolone, glomerular filtration

Sorry, this entry is only available in Italian.

Next Generation Sequencing and ADPKD

Abstract

Autosomal Dominant Polycistic Kidney Disease (ADPKD) is the most common inherited genetic disorder in the word, caused by mutations in PKD1 gene in 85% of cases and PKD 2 gene in the remaining 15%. Although diagnosis is usually based on ultrasound, MRI and CT scans, in some cases genetic testing is necessary, for example, in patients with atypical phenotype or with a negative family history, or in cases of donation from relatives. The presence of pseudogenes in PKD1, the size of the gene, the costs of the Sanger sequencing and genetic heterogeneity underlying kidney disease make genetic analysis particularly difficult to be performed.  Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) represents the last frontier of innovation among diagnostic tools for molecular diagnosis of inherited cystic kidney disease thanks to the ability to analyze several genes at the same time. In this regard, we have developed a NGS platform, called Nephroplex, with the aim of identifying variations in 115 genes responsible for numerous kidney diseases, including cystic and polycystic disease, achieving, overall, a target region of 338.8 kbps. The technology used for the enrichment is HaloPlex system, based on the digestion of genomic DNA with restriction enzymes and the capture of the regions of interest with specific hybridization probes. With our platform, we have analyzed 9 patients with clinical diagnosis of ADPKD. We have obtained a depth coverage of 100x for 96.5% of the target, while the region not covered accounted for only 3% of the region of interest. In 6 patients, we found causative mutations in the genes PKD1 and PKD2, achieving a detection rate of 66%. In conclusion, the NephroPlex platform has proved to be an excellent device for molecular diagnosis of kidney disease and could clarify the mechanisms underlying genetic heterogeneity observed in kidney disease

Keywords: ADPKD, Nephroplex, Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease, Next Generation Sequencing

Sorry, this entry is only available in Italian.